Everyone deserves quality dental care, but not everyone feels they can afford it. Dental insurance is offered by some employers, but it isn’t always a standard part of employee benefits, and it often costs extra. Even with dental insurance, some procedures are not covered, or are only covered up to a certain amount or percentage. The financial burden is enough that some people fail to get the dental care they need.
But it is possible to get great dentistry at a reasonable cost. You just have to know where to find it. Here are some tips for getting affordable dental care.
Getting the Most Out of Your Dental Insurance
If your employer offers dental insurance, these tips can help you make the most of your coverage.
- Choose an in-network dentist. A dentist that is in-network with your insurance provider will have lower rates that are pre-negotiated. This means that your insurance provider and the dentist have established rates for dental services that are typically lower than what is offered to out of network providers. You can still go to an out of network dentist that accepts your insurance, but you may end up paying more out of pocket.
- Get familiar with your plan. It helps to know the details of your dental insurance plan so that you know what is covered and how often. For example, most plans cover twice yearly dental cleanings and exams, but X-rays may only be covered once a year. Fluoride treatments may be covered once a year, but not twice. You can choose your care based on the specifics of your plan to save money.
- Consider plan options. If your employer offers different plans, consider the type of dental care you need before choosing a plan. If you only need basic dental care, a basic plan may be all you need. But if you need more extensive dental care, you may want to choose a higher tier plan that will cover more procedures. It may have a higher premium, but it may be worth it for more comprehensive coverage.
Finding Affordable Dentistry Without Insurance
If you don’t have employer provided dental insurance, there are still ways to get affordable dental care.
- Compare pricing between dentists. Not all dental practices have the same rates for procedures. You can find more affordable dental care by comparing prices between dental practices. Just be sure to check licensing and qualifications to ensure you are getting quality dental care.
- Use FSA or HSA accounts. If you have a high deductible health plan that includes an FSA (flex spending account) or an HSA (health savings account), the funds from those accounts can often be used for dental care. Be sure to look into the specifics of what the account can be used for in terms of tax regulations to avoid penalties.
- Get CareCredit. When the cost of your dental care exceeds what you can afford at one time, CareCredit is a financing option. It helps by dividing the total cost into smaller monthly payments with little or no interest.
- Purchase dental insurance. If your employer doesn’t offer dental insurance, you can purchase dental insurance independently from a variety of providers. Compare the cost of your premium with the cost of paying for dental care out of pocket. Depending on your individual needs and that of your family, it may save you money to purchase insurance.
Dental Associates of Lodi Provides Affordable Dental Care
If you’re looking for affordable dental care in Lodi, New Jersey or the surrounding area, Dental Associates of Lodi provides quality care at reasonable rates. We are in-network with most major insurance providers and accept most dental insurance plans. We believe that everyone deserves to get the dental care they need regardless of financial status, which is why we do our best to make dentistry affordable. We are a family dental practice providing care for patients of all ages.