Pediatric Dentist in Lodi, NJ
Dental Associates of Lodi provides pediatric dentistry in Lodi, NJ.
One of the most important lessons you can teach your child is to practice good oral health. If you live in Bergen County, we invite you to schedule an appointment with our dentist and team. We’ll examine your child’s teeth and teach them how to brush properly. Even if your child is already brushing, there is a good chance that they are doing it incorrectly and missing a lot of the plaque that has built up on their teeth.
One of the most important lessons you can teach your child is to practice good oral health. Dr. Steven Liao and his team at Dental Associates of Lodi are dedicated to the oral health of your children from infancy through the teen years.
Children begin to get their baby teeth during the first 6 months of life. Although this may seem surprisingly early, the incidence of infant and toddler tooth decay has been rising in recent years. Tooth decay and early cavities can be exceptionally painful if they are not attended to immediately, and can also set the scene for poor oral health in later childhood.
By age 6 or 7 years, they start to lose their first set of teeth, which eventually are replaced by secondary, permanent teeth. Without proper dental care, children face possible oral decay and disease that can cause a lifetime of pain and complications. Today, early childhood dental caries—an infectious disease—is 5 times more common in children than asthma and 7 times more common than hay fever.
Dr. Steven Liao and his team at Dental Associates of Lodi are dedicated to the oral health of your children from infancy through the teen years. As a child-friendly practice here at Dental Associates of Lodi, we are focused on preventative care. We offer the following services:
- Infant oral health exams, which include caries risk assessment education for the patients
- Pediatric dental cleaning and fluoride treatments/ nutritional and diet recommendations
- Preventative Sealants, to seal deep pits and grooves
- Habit counseling- pacifier use, thumb sucking, and sippy cups
- Early assessment and treatment for straightening teeth and correcting an improper bite
- Advanced brace-free orthodontic consultation
- Repair of tooth cavities & tooth-colored bonding
- Care for dental injuries or emergencies (for example, fractured, displaced, or knocked-out teeth)
- Nitrous oxide sedation– The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recognizes this technique as a very safe, effective technique to use for treating children’s dental needs.
Benefits of Pediatric Dentistry
Developing a good understanding of oral health at a young age can set the foundation for a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums. The more you emphasize and model good oral hygiene, for instance, the bigger role it can play in a child’s life. And one aspect of having this good oral hygiene is seeing your dentist regularly.
There are a few key benefits that come from pediatric dentistry, including:
- A comfortable, kid-friendly environment
- Dental tools that are made for little mouths
- Experienced dental professionals that know how to treat dental issues as they relate to kids, such as understanding their common habits, development, and more
- Understanding and compassionate staff who know how to properly and successfully handle children
- A reduction in dental fear as these first dental experiences can be carried throughout life
Keep in mind that the oral health conditions that impact children are often much different than those that adults face. In pediatric dentistry, you can feel confident that your dental team knows just how to diagnose and treat your child’s dental needs.
Why Choose Dental Associates of Lodi?
It is so important to choose wisely when selecting a dental team for your child’s pediatric dentistry needs – especially since having a positive experience at a young age can set the tone for the future. Dental Associates of Lodi welcomes your child – and your entire family. Because we treat patients of all ages, children have the opportunity to be more comfortable and learn to model the behavior of their parents and siblings while at the dentist’s office. This makes the experience much more enjoyable and can provide lifelong benefits.
We are gentle and caring with a great passion for treating little smiles. We have the tools and the knowledge to be able to diagnose dental concerns as they relate to children. And, we have the desire and commitment to providing your child with the best dental treatment available.
If you have any questions, concerns, or would like to schedule an appointment, please contact us today. We look forward to providing your children with the personal care they deserve.
Frequently Asked Questions
When should my child first see the dentist?
Children should have their first dental visit by the time they reach 12 months of age. Or, within 6 months of their first tooth. As we said, tooth decay is on the rise in young children so early visits are important.
Is sucking on a pacifier bad for my child?
While many parents will tell you that a pacifier has its benefits, the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry has advised that it may lead to oral health concerns if it continues after the age of 3 years.
At what age do children start brushing their teeth?
You should be brushing your children’s teeth from the time they come in, usually with a small soft toothbrush or soft cloth. This includes brushing the gums, too. You can show your child how to brush their teeth and help them do it themselves as they get a little older. By the time they reach about two years of age, brushing with a tiny bit of toothpaste is a good idea – though you will still need to help and guide them. Talk to the dental team at Dental Associates of Lodi to discover tricks and tips to make this a smooth process.